Re: few questions

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 02:26:45AM +0200, Piotr Stolc wrote:
> hi,
> I'm experimenting with Xen with NetBSD 3.0 BETA as dom0 and Linux 2.6 domU
> (and in near future another NetBSD as domU).
> And my problem/questions are:
>
> Do we have any rc script for starting/stopping domains and any queueing
> mechanism for it? I start Linux from rc.local with 'xm create', but I don't
> even want to imagine what will happen if I start several domains at once
> (especially after crash when fsck will scan the disk). I want to start first
> system and after it fscks partitions and starts some important daemons (like
> DNS) I want to start another system.

There isn't a generic script for this. What I do is start all domains
from rc.local, without bothering for I/O overhead for now (it justs
takes a bit longer to start, but it's not a problem in my case).
I guess you would need to write a custom script for this, waiting for
one machine replying to a ping (for example) before starting the next one.
Of course with a timeout in case one domain can't complete fsck.

> The second problem is with shutting down the system. when I use 'xm
> shutdown'
> command the Linux shutdowns cleanly. but when I shutdown/halt the dom0 it
> just kills xend, and the domU system doesn't shutdown cleanly.

I added to /etc/rc.shutdown.local:
#!/bin/sh

/usr/pkg/sbin/xm shutdown -H -a -w

and to rc.conf:
rcshutdown_timeout=60 #60s for shutdown hooks to run