Subject: Re: RAIDframe for dom0?
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-xen
Date: 08/12/2005 18:32:55
On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 07:09:24PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, TLorD wrote:
>
> >Greg Troxel wrote:
> >>I would like to set up a machine with NetBSD/Xen and RAID-1 (on 2
> >>identical disks).  Ideally, I'd like to be able to boot off a RAID-1
> >>root, with xen and netbsd-XEN0 both on that filesystem, with boot
> >>blocks on the other disk that can boot off the second disk.
> >
> >I think you could solve your issues by creating a small (about 20mb) wd0a
> >partition, placing grub + netbsd kernel + a couple of files and then boot
> >from
> >that partition.
> >The rest of the disk would then go to raid0.
> >Just mount raid0a as / and you should be done.
>
> 	You may also be able to setup another partition offset 64 sectors
> 	from the start of the raid partition and tell grub to boot that.

Yes, that works.  That's how one of the TNF machines is set up.

You'll find that grub-install will refuse to work right because it will
*insist* that it can't identify hd0 or hd1 even if you tell it explicitly
where they are.  But you can use the grub "shell" to get the boot blocks
onto hd(0,0) and to tell it to boot from hd(0,0,g) where that's the partition
that's offset by an additional 64 sectors from the actual start of the RAID
set, and is of type 4.2BSD in the disklabel.

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky