Subject: Re: xm shutdown problem (and german translation of the NetBSD/xen-Howto)
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rainer_Brinkm=F6ller?= <rainer.brinkmoeller@web.de>
List: port-xen
Date: 05/23/2005 23:08:43
Manuel Bouyer schrieb:

>On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 09:57:18PM +0200, Rainer Brinkmöller wrote:
>

>>My domain0 and two further domains work fine.
>>Also the network connections do what i want to (by using bridge such you
>>did explain - thanks).
>>Only the halt and shutdown commands makes me sleepless now
>>
>>If i execute the command "halt -p" in the new domains and wait till the
>>last message,
>>nothing happens until i press the enter button.
>>Then i get this output: on the screen
>>
>>************************ REMOTE CONSOLE EXITED ************************
>>(54, 'Connection reset by peer')
>>Error: Error connecting to xend, is xend running?
>>$
>>
>>I press the enter key again and next i get this:
>>
>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "/usr/pkg/sbin/xm", line 9, in ?
>>   main.main(sys.argv)
>>[...]
>>

>Yes, I get this too. This is an issue in the Xen tools.
>

>>Now i get the command prompt i want. But also xend seem to be stop while
>>the error above.
>>

>It should not. Does 'xm list' still work ?

I cannot reproduce the situation. Maybe it was an misunderstandig
because of the output:
Error: Error connecting to xend, is xend running?
I always did start xend again when i read that.
Yes, 'xm list' still work so xend is running.

>>If  i try to execute the command "xm shutdown -H dom1" from doamin0
>>nothing happen.
>>

>Do you get something on console or /var/log/message in dom1 ?

Not on console, no. I am not sure about the logs. There are a lot
messages but i don't know if these
are depend on it. If you're interested in, i could send you my log files.

>>I found your mail
>>(http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2005/04/18/0022.html) but i
>>don't know how this can help me. What do i have to do exactly to update
>>to this changes?
>>

>You need a kernel newer than 2005/04/18, add
>powerd=YES
>in /etc/rc.conf, and 2 scripts in /etc/powerd/scripts: power_button and
>reset_button. These should be installed by the default install.

Now i am using xen 2.0.6 and the NetBSD 3 XEN0 and XENU from daily
200505060000Z.
This seems to work fine. Particularly the 'xm shutdown ...' works fine now.
Only the messages by pressing the Enter key still appear when i stop by
'halt -p' and 'xm shutdown -H ...'.
Do you think that will be changed? It really don't look pretty :)

Greetings, Rainer