Re: Xen 2.0 howto

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 02:52:11PM +0100, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > attached is a quick howto for NetBSD and xen 2.0.
>
> I just tried reconfiguring my laptop to run Xen, with NetBSD in domain
> 0, and it works great, with just one problem: X isn't working right --
> it starts running, and doesn't crash, or quit until I ask it to, but
> it shows only a black screen.  I can switch back and forth between
> virtual consoles as before: the only problem seems to be that I'm not
> getting any non-black pixels on the console that's dedicated to X.
>
> Is X supposed to be supported in domain 0 already, or should I wait?

Yes, mostly.  I went through issues too because I was using the vesa
driver.  There is obviusly some trouble accessing the BIOS, the video
BIOS and performing int10h calls.  I'm not sure if it is to be expected
or not.

Using "ati" driver (which meant isntalling a newer X, I chose x.org from
pkgsrc), it is working fine (it still complains about not being able to
access the BIOS, but it still displays).

You might run into troubles because of the (apparently broken) MTRR
support (at least, with my kernel config, MTRR just doesn't compile, I
haven't had time to look further).

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost