Re: Xen 1.2 - problems solved!

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 11:48:43AM +0100, Michael Kukat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 01:12:19PM +0100, Michael Kukat wrote:
> >> +       movl    $0,%ebx
>
> > This change makes an *enormous* difference in performance on one of the
> > TNF servers.  I will commit it and request a pullup for 2.1.
>
> As promised, i like to clean up this a bit. See the included patch (again
> based on 2.0 release sources) for a further improvement. I used the symbols
> now in locore.S and added domain termination handling on shutdown. Currently,

Actually, cpu_reset() for this port already calls HYPERVISOR_exit.  But it
does make sense to get rid of the cngetc() loop on halt, and treat "halt"
just like "reboot" (neither of them does, *or can*, actually reboot, of
course; you have to do that from domain 0).  Without that, you are correct
that HYPERVISOR_exit is never called for the "halt" case.

I have committed this change and requested a pullup.

I think that we should also call HYPERVISOR_exit when dropping to DDB if
we are not domain 0.  But the DDB code is currently shared with the i386
port, I think, so this would require a minor refactoring of that code.

Thor