Re: NetBSD and Xen 2.0

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 02:08:06PM -0000, Christian Limpach wrote:
> > > yes, except I'm not quite sure why you need the pseudo ethernet device
> in
> > > this context?
> >
> > We need to connect the xennet of the virtual machine to something in
> > the domain0 OS, right ?
>
> yes, but I don't think a generic pseudo ethernet device will work well for
> this, unless you have some in-kernel interface to receive and send packets
> through it.

The pseudo ethernet device has an entry in /dev/ for this from userland.
Nothing prevent opening his device in kernel and do I/O on it, as does
raidframe, ccd, cgd, ...

> I think the backend network driver will be quite similar to the
> frontend driver (if_xennet) except that it needs to take some additional
> steps mapping pages into the unprivileged domain and reclaiming pages from
> the unprivileged domain.
>
> > Or maybe the sparce trees in the xen2.01 distrib has this ?
>
> The sparse tree only includes support for NetBSD as an unprivileged domain.
> There are no incentives for us to add domain0 support for NetBSD at the
> moment but I'll certainly support every effort to do so.

I was talking about the linux trees, which I could use as documentation
for what needs to be done ...

Manuel.Bouyer%lip6.fr@localhost