Subject: Re: NetBSD and Xen 2.0
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Christian Limpach <Christian.Limpach@cl.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-xen
Date: 12/14/2004 14:08:06
> > yes, except I'm not quite sure why you need the pseudo ethernet device
in
> > this context?
>
> We need to connect the xennet of the virtual machine to something in
> the domain0 OS, right ?

yes, but I don't think a generic pseudo ethernet device will work well for
this, unless you have some in-kernel interface to receive and send packets
through it.  I think the backend network driver will be quite similar to the
frontend driver (if_xennet) except that it needs to take some additional
steps mapping pages into the unprivileged domain and reclaiming pages from
the unprivileged domain.

> Or maybe the sparce trees in the xen2.01 distrib has this ?

The sparse tree only includes support for NetBSD as an unprivileged domain.
There are no incentives for us to add domain0 support for NetBSD at the
moment but I'll certainly support every effort to do so.

     christian