No success. Absolutely none.

Hello,

okay, i'm trying around for hours and days now. i don't get any bit of NetBSD
working with Xen 1.2. I read all this ML archive several times, and i
absolutely can't imagine the following things:

- how do you get a kernel booted directly?
- where do you see this xen12load?
- why do you get console messages?

My current setup:

Xen 1.2 running in VMware. This is a copy of the Demo CD, with a second disk
for some block devices. I can fire up and use 4 more Linux domains in this
construction without problems, get console messages, everything works fine.
But it seems absolutely impossible to get any action from a NetBSD kernel. And
i really tried everything i could find. Just some of the problems:

Booting NetBSD in dom0 - no way. invalid guest OS image or some similar
message appeard. Tried xen-1.2-fixed, gzipped, gunzipped, every variant
Booting NetBSD in some other domain - no way. With the kernels found in the
NetBSD distribution on the Xen website, the domain immediately terminates.
Even after padding the kernel to 4 bytes. With xen-1.2-netbsd, the domain
works for a while, but it doesn't seem to really do something. I'm trying to
boot off an NFS root, nothing changes there, and tcpdump'ing in dom0 doesn't
show any traffic, so the kernel doesn't even try to access NFS. No console
messages here. I created the "std" devnodes manually in /dev in NFS-root, i
created fstab, everything (but what does this matter, if NFS is not even
mounted :). At least, the domain works a bit longer this way, so i assume it
really "works". Whatever this means, i can't see output.

xen12load? Do i need it? Where can i find it? It's absolutely nowhere on the
NetBSD ftp, on the Xen website or on the Demo-CD. Just the sources, which
don't build under this stupid Linux.

Isn't it possible to just boot a NetBSD kernel in domain1 in some rudimentary
way to create everything needed in NetBSD in singleuser-mode?

I'm right before giving up completely and feed all this Xen stuff to the oven.
I can't imagine that anyone has some success i read here and some even get
everything working in some way.

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX