Subject: Re: No success. Absolutely none.
To: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: port-xen
Date: 12/09/2004 13:16:57
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Michael Kukat wrote:
> - how do you get a kernel booted directly?

directly? this isn't how xen works. As Thor wrote, you need to use grub to
first load Xen as hardware abstraction layer, then go on from there.
The xen12 and grub packages' MESSAGE files have enough information for a
start.

> - where do you see this xen12load?

Heh, aparently that's available nowhere in precompiled form (doh).
Sources are in src/sys/arch/xen/stand, it can be easily compiled.
Let me know if you want a precompiled binary

> - why do you get console messages?

I didn't get that far. I tried the two kernel from
ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/xen, but neither works. Xen starts up,
detects some hardware, then I see something about "guest"(?) and
"domain"(?) flash up and then it immediately reboots.

I'm trying this in qemu right now, due to lack of real hardware.

> I'm right before giving up completely and feed all this Xen stuff to the oven.
> I can't imagine that anyone has some success i read here and some even get
> everything working in some way.

I can feel your pain, I've put some time into this too, but didn't get
very far. There's definitely a lack of structure and support here.
Maybe the port master can help us out a bit? Christian?

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)