Subject: Re: First experience, first failure
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: TLD <tld@tld.digitalcurse.com>
List: port-xen
Date: 12/08/2004 20:54:45
Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 08:05:13PM +0100, TLD wrote:
> Why are you trying to build xen12load?  It is included in the pkgsrc
> package.

Is it? I can't find it :|
xen12 has only one file, xen-1.2.gz, which is the xen kernel.
xentools12 has balloon, some .py files, xen_cpuperf, xen_read_console,
xc.h, libxc.*, Xc.so, Xenoutil.py* and some /share/example configuration files.
I just cannot 'find / -name "xen12load*"' anything

> Why are you building cross-tools when you can build a xen kernel from
> /usr/src/sys/arch/xen using just the native tools in your NetBSD/i386
> installation?

I was trying to follow the instructions, so far the best I could find:
"
	o How to build xen12load

Run make in sys/arch/xen/stand/xen12load
"
(from: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-xen/2004/04/27/0000.html )

I did not try to build any cross-tool anywhere, or if I did I wasn't aware.

> The "XEN" kernel config file should work; or you can use the prebuilt
> "XEN" kernel you can download from the Xen site itself to get things
> going.

the XEN kernel config, or the GENERIC one, did not work.
They hang, they do not boot.
They do not find /sbin/init, or if they do there's something that stops
them from working, and I just can't find what it is.
I've even tried cp'ing the kernel stright from the livecd: it reboots! :'(

--
/~\ The ASCII                            TLD
\ / Ribbon Campaign