Subject: The current state of NetBSD/x86_64
To: None <port-x86_64@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-x86_64
Date: 02/28/2003 20:25:56
Now that you're all here..

Welcome to the NetBSD/x86_64 mailing list. To start things off, I thought
I'd give a brief status update.

NetBSD/x86_64 is a complete port, in the sense that has all features
that other NetBSD ports have, runs well on actual hardware, and
is able to host itself. I haven't had a crash in quite a while
on my main test system.

Having said that, there are some issues I'm currently fixing. They are:

	* XFree86 4.3.0 has just been imported into NetBSD. I will make
	  it work on x86_64 in the next week.
	* There's no MP support yet, but again, I'm expecting to have
	  that up and running next week.

Another issue is that gcc-current (to be 3.3) is needed to compile, but
that hasn't been integrated into NetBSD yet. The drawback of that is,
that building a complete NetBSD distribution using build.sh will not
currently work. A second issue that there is an apparent binutils
(libbfd) problem that prevents natively linking kernels. Natively
compiling anything else will work just fine, though.

So, watch this space for an update next week if you want the above
issues resolved.

Until then, there's an older ISO image at

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/fvdl/x86_64/netbsd-x86_64-X11.iso

It's a bootable image, and contains a pretty much complete NetBSD
distribution, including X. This is from december, and there was
an installer problem back then, so don't select 'view filenames
when extracting sets' during the install, it might coredump on you.

In the same directory there's a netbsd.bz2, which is a more recent kernel,
which fixes some issues, most notably support for more than 4G of memory.

I hope to create an updated ISO image towards the end of next week.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                    fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD Development, Support & Service.   http://www.wasabisystems.com/