Re: Issues with native build of -10 on VAX

On 11/22/23 20:41, Josh Moyer wrote:
.LM723:
         movl 20(%r6),%r0

So it's all the assembler's fault, I guess? Attached is a minimal
test case, in case anyone wants to take a closer look.

Sure looks like an assembler error.  Does it also show up when
crossbuilding on a 32 bit host?  It looks a bit like a case of
using a host type when a target type is needed.

Did anyone else get a chuckle out of one of the generated
symbol names being "LM723"? ;)

While I find this thread fascinating AND compelling (and am also
grateful for it), I -- sadly -- don't get this joke.  Possibly
because of my relative VAX newbishness.  Would someone please
explain for us, um, challenged folk?  We wouldn't want to miss
out on the chuckles. ;-)

  Sorry.  It's not a VAX-specific joke.

The LM723 is an integrated circuit, specifically a voltage regulator, that dates to the 1960s and is still in production today. It's an incredibly versatile chip, holding a place in history right up there with the 741 opamp and the 555 timer.

It's most commonly known by its National Semiconductor part number, LM723, but it was first introduced by Fairchild as the uA723.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA