10_BETA on my VLC

Hello

So I decided to upgrade the Vaxstation VLC to 10_BETA. Upgrade took a while but got there in the end.
I noticed one peculiar thing - when it was doing makemandb (which took over 4 hours btw) the CPU
stats in top(1) were weird. makemandb was often over 100-130% and peaked over 430%! That's no bueno.
Anyone else seen this weirdness?

Userland seems slower now too (perhaps not super surprising). For example editing a file with vi(1)
feels like sitting behind a 300baud modem (connected over telnet), I can see vi draw the screen.
A tad faster using the local lcg(4) framebuffer console.

/B