pbulk bootstrap: How to set CFLAGS?

Hi!

This is kind of a silly question, but I face some issues with CFLAGS.
On this VAX, I have "CFLAGS+=-O0" in /etc/mk.conf. I created a
sandbox, the same is in <sandbox>/etc/mk.conf as well as in
<sandbox>/mk.conf.frag (cf.
http://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/pkgsrc/pbulk/).

  However, creating a new `pbulk` instance within that sandbox
("sh /usr/pkgsrc/mk/pbulk/pbulk.sh -n -c mk.conf.frag"), all the stuff
is built with -O2 (and no -O0), which gives me a consistent ICE in the
digest tools. OTOH, why is it _actually_ bootstrapping digest etc?
Shouldn't have the sandbox have all the stuff available that's already
installed in the base system (at least at the point of time where I
created that sandbox?)  But in the end: I need to get rid of that -O2
(and/or add a -O0 afterwards), whereever that's coming from...

Thanks,
  Jan-Benedict