Re: Compiler Explorer offers a NetBSD VAX compiler

Hi!

On Fri, 2023-05-26 14:13:25 +0100, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 May 2023 at 13:53, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw%lug-owl.de@localhost> wrote:

> > > Very interesting - would you have a link to hand? :)
> >
> > Waiting for NetBSD to pick it up.  The compiler Compiler Explorer is
> > using is directly from a NetBSD "build.sh tools + libs" off a Linux
> > host.  That was the easiest way to get a reasonable compiler with libc
> > and all usual support libraries.
>
> Nice :) That seems an extremely reasonable way to add it with
> (hopefully!) very minimal ongoing maintenance required.

That's what I thought, to I suggested this (and helped with some
initial scripting) when I opened the ticket with the Compiler Explorer
project on Github
(https://github.com/compiler-explorer/compiler-explorer/issues/4783)

> Presumably it might be possible to add in alpha using a similar
> pattern? :)  (*Not* trying for "Oh, that is cool. Now You Must This As
> Well")

The code for building the VAX compiler for CE is in
https://github.com/compiler-explorer/gcc-cross-builder.git, see
./build/build-vax-netbsd.sh .  It's quite trivial code, given that
NetBSD's build.sh is easily preparing a working (cross-)compiler for
supported targets. If you open a ticket with CE and maybe supply
either a second script (along with the above mentioned
build-vax-netbsd.sh), or a common script to be called for VAX and
Alpha, I guess we'll easily see an Alpha compiler soon.

  Working with the guys that are running CE was a very good experience
after all!  I think they also spend quite some hours pulling in my
suggestion, given the "irrelevance" of VAX these days. (I'd kind of
like to see statistics on how often which compiler gets invoked by CE
users...)

> Thanks. When you say waiting for NetBSD to pick it up, are you
> referring to a more recent gcc/VAX version?

Indeed.  Maciej has done quite some work on GCC's VAX backend, back in
the day. I think that went into the GCC 12 release. Would'd love
NetBSD to be quicker with adopting new GCC versions, but OTOH I seem
to remember that this might be a problem at least for or1k and
coldfire?

MfG, JBG