Re: CMD MSCP SCSI problems? (again?)

On 2023-02-08 22:03, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 2/8/23 15:51, Jason Thorpe wrote:
  Wow, I've not compiled a NetBSD kernel in a very long time, that'll be fun. :-)  I'll see if I can get to that this week.  I suppose I'll have to do an install under simh to get to that point.

Cross-compile it?  I mean, isn’t that what **everybody** does? :-)

  Ahh, perhaps, but the last time I built a NetBSD/vax kernel, I did it natively...that should tell you how long ago that was. ;)

A *very* long time ago. :-)

  I'm figuring out the cross-compilation tools, build.sh, etc now.  I must say the documentation on how to get this set up is slightly lacking, for something everybody does. ;)

Hmm. I remember back when I started using build.sh. It took a little time to get used to using it instead of just building what I wanted directly using make, but I must say it's very easy and straight forward.

Basically, if you have a running system, you just have the source tree checked out. You stand in there, run "build.sh -m vax <whatever>" and that's it. You usually do not need to do anything more. And the <whatever> part can be checked in the build.sh script, or just try running without arguments. But you can use it to build the tools, the distribution tar-sets and the kernel, with just a couple of arguments.

If I were to do things from scratch, I might do

"build.sh -m vax distribution sets kernel=GENERIC"

and that will do everything you possibly need.
Then you have the tar-balls you get onto your vax, and just unpack them. Or if you netboot, just unpack on the file system you boot, and off you go.

  Johnny