Re: CMD MSCP SCSI problems? (again?)

> On Feb 8, 2023, at 4:00 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt%softjar.se@localhost> wrote:
>
> On 2023-02-08 21:51, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>>> On Feb 8, 2023, at 9:51 AM, Dave McGuire <mcguire%neurotica.com@localhost> wrote:
>>>

>>>  Wow, I've not compiled a NetBSD kernel in a very long time, that'll be fun. :-)  I'll see if I can get to that this week.  I suppose I'll have to do an install under simh to get to that point.
>> Cross-compile it?  I mean, isn’t that what **everybody** does? :-)
>
> I might be the only one who foolishly still tries from time to time. But it's been more than 10 years since that was successfully done. Maybe 20.
>
> Of course I cross compile as well, since that's the only way to test things at the moment.

Cross-compiling is the obvious choice because of speed.  But native compilation is a very good test of compiler quality.  It should be able to compile natively the entire OS and all the tools (including the compiler itself).  At times, GCC has been known to have bugs that keep that from working, at least in the "minor" targets like vax.  It's great that some people are still working on curing that.

	paul