Re: New Vax - future directions :-)

On 2021-07-07 16:36, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 2021-07-07 13:37, Anders Magnusson wrote:
Den 2021-07-07 kl. 11:37, skrev Hans Rosenfeld:
And, can we perhaps get a PDP11 compatibility mode, too? Like the one
early VAX-11 models had? Please? :)

Thanks for breathing some life back into the VAX, and into port-vax.
This is so amazing on so many levels. :)
Hm, I haven't thought of that before, but it might be quite trivial
to do that.
Almost no extra hardware, just a separate match for the microassembler.

I'd be a little curious on why anyone would want it, though. (Even
me, being a PDP-11 fanatic, isn't that interested in this
compatibility mode...)

It allows running early VMS releases.

Ah. True. But would you even try to do that on some new FPGA
implementation of a VAX?

   I sure has hell would.

If I wanted to run old VMS, seems like simh would be a simpler way.

   Simpler, and lesser...but that seems not to be the point.  Don't get
me wrong, simh is amazing and I use it all the time, but face it, it's
the computer equivalent of an inflatable rubber girl doll.  It will get
the job done, but real hardware is a whole lot more satisfying.

   Seriously, who where wouldn't be interested in, say, a 1U rackmount
current-hardware VAX?

If you want to run VMS V1, you need to make the machine behave exactly like the 11/780. That is my issue. :-)
You can't even run V1 on a real VAX-11/750.

  Johnny