Re: Issues with compiler failures

> On May 31, 2019, at 3:16 AM, Chris Hanson <cmhanson%eschatologist.net@localhost> wrote:
>
> On Mar 17, 2019, at 6:33 AM, Paul Koning <paulkoning%comcast.net@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> Is there no one willing to take on the gcc maintainer role for vax?  It's not rocket science.
>
> Honestly, for many people it might be less daunting to consider putting together an LLVM backend and clang support for VAX.

Less daunting?  Hm.  The GCC backend for VAX exists, it has a couple of bugs and needs an update.  Would LLVM involve a brand new backend?  How does the LLVM backend complexity, and the documentation about writing one, compare to the GCC case?  Not all GNU projects have good internals documentation, but GCC's does, and in particular it covers back ends rather well.

> (Someone has finally done the first part for M68K, though LLVM doesn’t really want to accept it into the main codebase without one or two people who are willing to be long term maintainers.)
>
>  — Chris

So they would be willing to accept that with maintainers signed up?  Good to know.  I had somehow formed the impression that LLVM was only aimed at current platforms and wouldn't want to take on legacy ones.

	paul