Re: Boot failure on 4000/500A

On 2019-04-13 13:49, Johnny Billquist wrote:
That sounds even more weird. In my tests, it is entirely reproducable, and the same every time. Too much memory, and it won't detect the mscpbus.
However, the limit is different for different kernels.

After a bit of circus, I have my simh 8650 back up and running. One new thing to make people aware of: /boot is broken in recent build from current. Don't know exactly what the problem is with that. boot halts rather quickly, with no output. Moving in an older version works. But people need to be careful, and have some backup plan (disk/network) around in order to be able to recover in case /boot gets broken. Also, a build from about two weeks ago broke everything when I installed userland. I suspect some shared library was the problem, but could not really investigate that well. A build from yesterday worked better, but it was a bit of an exercise to get the new set onto the existing disk and unpacked, in order to recover. Again - at the moment I would really recommend that people make sure they have some alternative disk with a system on it, or a netbootable system around that is know to be good, so that you can recover if things go bad with the installation of the latest build...

  Johnny