Re: Thoughts about a floating point exception fix

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 01:58:29PM -0500, Mouse wrote:
> How does that differ from just using reserved operands (which the
> hardware already knows how to fault on)?  Would the simulated FP
> include things operationally like infinities or quiet NaNs (presumably
> in the form of a subset of reserved operands)?  I don't see how else
> software-simulated VAX FP would help.

I still don't understand what exactly needs to be fixed in the software
(and if we have to do it in pkgsrc because upstream is stupid, so be it).

What IEEE754 feature does python rely on?
Not using huge values out of range on VAX for sure, but otherwise?

Martin