Re: VS2000 + NetBSD

..that thing is going complicated.

I have an VS3100 M76 with an installed NetBSD 1.5.3 on it that
I used for Netbooting (Mopd) and I connected the fresh installed Disk to
it and tried to boot..failed.
Next I've netbooted the m76 and looked at the disk..all ok so far.
I've erased the first 16 blocks from the disk, copied the first Blocks
from the M76 disk and modified the disklable according the actuel
filesystem sizes (VS2000 disk is smaller, only the last partition
differs).
With that disk the VS2000 with the modified Firmware could start the
primary loader (sdboot) but the loader couldn't find boot or boot.vax
the 2nd loader.

I've found out that the primary loader on the M76 isn't the 1.5.3.
sdboot since there is aoccurence of cd9660 in the code, I do hvave some
other NetBSD Version on the disk that seems to be the source of that code,
the xxboot from that Version written with disklabel from 1.5.3 to the
disk makes an almost working primary bootstrap, but fails to boot the
2nd.
I've tried to netboot that version, it results in an endless row of
stray irq 18 ipl 31 on both machines. Don't know anymore what verion
that is, think 1.6.0 or 1.6.2 or so..

The begin of partition a on the disk is offset 16 blocks to the begin of
the disk. How is the concrete layout of that 16 blocks, from where to
where is the lable and where is the primary bootstrap?

There is an installboot in /usr/mdec from the 1.5.3, but even when I
write the boot on the M76 running 1.5.3 on the VS2000 Disk, I can't
boot from that thing. disklable -B seems to work better here.

I don't remember how I created the disk in the M76, it seems that it
don't worked correctly with the 1.5.3 tools, otherwise there where no
newer bootstrap on that disk as is currently is. But even dd-ing that
disk doesn't work for the VS2000.

On Saturday we have a Meeting from the people from the german robotron
Forum, I hoped that I could give back the VS2000 to the Owner on that
meeting....

Regards,

Holm
info%tsht.de@localhost Fax +49 3731 74200 Tel +49 3731 74222 Mobil: 0172 8790 741