Re: VAXen, MOPD, and high speed ethernet

On 2016-06-11 16:40, Toby Thain wrote:
On 2016-06-11 1:41 AM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jun 2016, Charles Dickman wrote:

I have not had much luck when using a 100baseT server for mopd. The
VAXen are just too slow and miss the response.

Amusingly, I installed ULTRIX to a DECstation over the network hanging
off gigabit switches last weekend without issue.

I've also done the same with a VAX...I once added fibre to the mix...

I'm going to double check the interface speed, but I successfully
netbooted my MVII off a gigabit switch and a Linux PC with GbE.

I couldn't ascribe any problems to the network. The problems I had were
all software (ref the linked HOWTO earlier :)

Most of the time, the network speed should not be an issue.
First of all, your switch is going to buffer packets, when someone is sending at say 1GbE, and your machine only have a 10 MbE. This is obvious, since if the packets are sent at a high rate, the switch simply cannot deliver them at that rate on the low speed link. But there is a finite amount of memory in the switch, so it only works up to a point. The next thing is that on the machine, the ethernet controller should also be able to receive a few packets at maximum rate, even if the machine is not processing them that fast. Once more, this is finite, so it cannot keep up if the other machine keeps sending packets at high rates.

So in the end you also have the actual protocol used on the ethernet, which should not be blindly sending any number of packets without knowing that the received is keeping up. MOP do have some handshaking, as far as I remember, so it should be good.

So, again, different speeds on the different machines should not be a problem normally.

	Johnny