Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD

Tom Lane skrev 2014-06-24 18:42:
"Sebastian Reitenbach" <sebastia%l00-bugdead-prods.de@localhost> writes:
OK, that was easy:
$ cd /usr/ports/databases/postgresql
$ make install
===>  postgresql-client-9.3.4p0  requires shared libraries .
OpenBSD VAX is static only, so no postgresql on OpenBSD
VAX before shared libraries will ever be made working on it.
Ouch.  We long ago passed the point of no return as far as requiring
shared library support: there's too much backend functionality that's
in separate shared libraries rather than being linked directly into
the core executable.  I doubt anyone will be interested in taking on
the task of supporting a parallel all-static build.

I think this means we can write off VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD as a viable
platform for Postgres :-(.  I'm sad to hear it, but certainly have
not got the cycles personally to prevent it.

OpenBSD/vax is static only.  NetBSD/vax has dynamic libraries.

-- Ragge