Re: DEQNA info

On Jun 18, 2014, at 2:23 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt%update.uu.se@localhost>
wrote:

> On 2014-06-18 19:35, Mouse wrote:
>> sys/dev/qbus/if_qe.c says, in part, even in -current according to
>> cvsweb,
>>
>>         /*
>>          * How is the DEQNA turned in ALLMULTI mode???
>>          * Until someone tells me, fall back to PROMISC when more than
>>          * 12 ethernet addresses.
>>          */
>>
>> I have a digital copy of EK-DEQNA-UG-001 from bitsavers which appears
>> to answer this question (though the wording of the first sentence is a
>> little confusing; I believe there is a "count" missing after the first
>> "byte"), which I quote here in case anyone wants to pick it up and do
>> something with it.  (I will, but not in any NetBSD version I expect
>> NetBSD to care about.)
>
> [...]
>
> I remember going down this rabbithole many years ago.
> I don't remember if it was/is a documentation error, a firmware bug, or just
> plain impossible to actually do this in reality, but anyway, Ragge is well
> aware of what the documentation says, and as far as I can recall, we have not
> been able to actually turn on ALLMULTI.
>
>       Johnny

FWIW, the RSTS device driver for QNA checks for more than 14 multicast
addresses being enabled, and if so, sets the all-multicast flag.  I haven’t
tested it but this suggests that it must have worked for someone.  (14 because
the address filter has 16 entries, and RSTS mistakenly unconditionally enables
broadcast.)

        paul