[holm%freibergnet.de@localhost: Re: Which NetBSD on a VS3176?]

Sorry, forgot that on that list the reply goes not to the list by
default...

----- Forwarded message from Holm Tiffe <holm%freibergnet.de@localhost> -----

Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 20:48:35 +0200
From: Holm Tiffe <holm%freibergnet.de@localhost>
To: Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost>
Subject: Re: Which NetBSD on a VS3176?

Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 06:14:03PM +0200, Holm Tiffe wrote:
> > 3109016|
> >
> > Here the spinner stops and nothing other happens.
>
> This is just the INSTALL kernel (which comes with a pretty huge install
> filesystem as a ramdisk) not fitting into you RAM.
>
> Can you use another install method, like providing install.fs via NFS
> and booting GENERIC (either from the OpenBSD root or via mopd)?
>
> Martin

Hmm.
That means almost every other VS3100 M76 has more the 16MB Ram?
..or what's the cause for calling it supported w/o to mention that RAM
Problem?

Why is there an so hughe install ramdisk? Hey, we are talking about
machines from times when 16MB was a pretty good equipped machine.
VMS supports that pretty well, NetBSD ...not?

Yes. I have to boot my old workstation with an patched up mopd that
supports ELF files (standard FreeBSD does not) to boot that thing
over network. ( Maybe someone remembers my tries to port NetBSD to that
VAXELN CVAX Brick in the past)
But ... is this worth the effort? Whats the next problem?
Last time I iwhen tried this I got panics every time, disklabel doesn'ti
worked (maybei this 8 vs 16 prtitions problem) and so on... repeatedly.i
I've postet the Results here.

Guys it seems that you all live with machines installed sometimes in the
past and then patched up to the actual release. This may work ok.
But has someone tried to install a machine from a release to a blank disk
in the near past?

I have 8 pcs 4Meg RAM Simms 5019144-01 (PCB) or 54-1945-AU (sticker)
for older VaxStations but no more for the M76.

Regards,

Holm

[..]
----- End forwarded message -----