Re: NetBSD/vax current

John Klos skrev 2014-04-13 22:35:
Well, get to it, man! ;) I expect there will eventually be a fork of
NetBSD that will trim the fat and make it more usable. Testing on
older, slower hardware would go a long way toward "keeping it honest".

Question is if anyone have the time, energy and money for that to happen?

It'd be nice to see pcc for VAX instead of gcc. gcc has way too much fat and take way too long to do anything. And I wonder how much better an entirely crunchgen'd NetBSD would be on a very low memory machine...
Please go ahead, pcc should work reasonably well on vax. Not all possible optimizations added yet, though.

I have noted while recently porting pcc to 68k that gcc is very fond of unwindling branches in a way that is quite memory-consuming. I think this is one of the reason that binaries has grown a little too much lately.

-- Ragge