Re: MAXBSIZE on VAX

Martin Husemann skrev 2014-01-22 10:24:
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 11:19:04PM +0000, John Klos wrote:
Is there any good reason why MAXBSIZE is still defined as 16384 on VAX in
sys/arch/vax/include/param.h? I might not be able to boot off of a
filesystem with 32k block size, but I should be able to mount and use it
otherwise, no?
I think it would be even bootable. Is this old value to workaround some
adapter specific problems? The commit log is "vague":

revision 1.22
date: 1997-01-11 12:06:17 +0100;  author: ragge;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -2;
branches:  1.22.6;
#define MAXBSIZE to some nice value.

I have a vague memory of that it had to do with that the max DMA size on VS2k and friends was 16k, and something was dependent on MAXBSIZE so that there were problem with disk transfers on these machines. I really doubt it affects anything today, so feel free to remove that define.

-- Ragge