Re: Netboot on Vax

On 2014-01-03 17:32, Matthew Whitehead wrote:
Team,
   I'm pretty sure the MOP boot program hasn't worked for a long while. The
latests I could get to netboot on a MicroVAX-II is 3.1.1. I think the MOP boot
program needs to have its ELF header stripped.

The problem with using the old 3.1.1 boot is that it doesn't recognize the newest
kernels. It complains "Boot failed: Inappropriate file type or format".

I will work on this, but I'll need some help.

No, the problem isn't the ELF header. The problem is that the MOP server do not pass a start address over MOP, and so the boot machine makes the assumption the code starts at address 0, while the code actually starts a bit higher. Earlier versions of the mop bootable boot program did actually start at address 0, which is why they worked. Newer versions do not. There is a hack somewhere to actually change to load address to 0, since the code is all PIC anyway. Another option would be to fix the mop server to actually pass the start address. The problem is that I looked briefly at this, and could not find how to pass a start address in the MOP messages, but I believe it should be there *somewhere*.

        Johnny