Re: installboot is broken

On 2013-03-24 19:47, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 07:25:59PM +0100, Anders Magnusson wrote:
You mean the installboot usage, or something else?

I am not clear yet - I think installboot does everything exactly as
disklabel/newfs used to do before (at least I can't spot a difference).

As far as I remember, disklabel was the tool that used to install the boot block. And disklabel merged the disk label structure with what was in the primary bootstrap, and installed this as block 0. That worked. And that is not what installboot does. But I must admit that my memory is fuzzy, since I have not had to install boot blocks on my 8650 in a long time. But I definitely did it at some point.

We have three possible errors (in historical order)

  - the conversion to single bootblock introduced a bug for disks with
    the first few sectors zeroed

No. The single boot block itself is fine and working.

  - the moving of the bootstrap installation into installboot introduced
    the error

Yes. installboot does not install the boot block at the proper place.

  - the firmware/boot procedure used by simh has a bug

No. Installing the correct boot block allows simh to boot fine. simh works (in this detail) just like a real 8650.

        Johnny