Re: device matching at mainbus

Mouse wrote:

> >> The closest I've come to this was when I added a pseudo-bus at
> >> mainbus, which [...]
>
> > Thanks Mouse, but I don't think that this is of much help.
>
> I'm not surprised.  It's just about as close as I have to expertise in
> the area of what you were talking about, as near as I could tell.

Yea, I know.
..I'm still in the process of learning to understand what happens from step
to step and what data structures there are involved. In the moment the
physical/virtual adress mapping makes problems but I think I can
find out how to do things.
I'll ask you again If I think that it helps, ok?

> > For one that doesn't know much about those things.  this is like hell
> > trying to learn how it should be done at all.
>
> Yeah, it would be.  You're not only doing a port to previously
> unsupported hardware - itself a nontrivial task - you're having to do,
> at the same time, all the learning that would normally be done first.
> (I would not suggest trying to port to a new VAX to someone who didn't
> already know both the VAX itself and the OS in question.  I'm impressed
> at how much you've done despite having all that extra learning to do.)

Yes, that's the point. I'm familar with a BSD Derivate, FreeeBSD, this
helps a lot. But I can't even read a NetBSD Manual..think I have to install
a native System on my VS4000/90 or install a "cross manual system"..

> > <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost>: host
> > Sparkle-4.Rodents-Montreal.ORG[216.46.5.7]
> >     refused to talk to me: [...]
>
> This is rather off-topic for port-vax, so all I'll say in this mail is
> to suggest using mouse%openface.ca@localhost instead, which I think should
> sidestep that, for the time being at least.  We can discuss the issue
> itself once we're not doing it on an off-topic mailing list.

:-) Yes, it's OT, but this was the only practicable way to inform you.
Besides of this, it was only the copy from the group reply that was
blocked, there is nothing lost but I'll save your address just in case...
We don't even need to discuss this, since I can't change anything from the
opinions from politicans and the German NIC at all.
The domain there is older as the practice to hide the admin contact and
again, I'm not happy with this, even when I know where I can get the info.

Regards,

Holm
  www.tsht.de, info%tsht.de@localhost, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741