Re: CD drives on vax

On 21 June 2012 23:29, Dave McGuire <mcguire%neurotica.com@localhost> wrote:

>> So, currently looking at Martin's racd as the best name unless there
>> are any other suggestions?
>
>  Chiming in late here...IF there's any way to distinguish, it'd be
> great to have it as consistent with other ports as possible.  Viewing
> the OS and its drivers as the "abstraction layer" that sits atop the
> hardware is how I'm envisioning it.  Is there no way to accomplish this
> without violating the OTHER abstraction layer that is MSCP?

cd* is a specific device that sites on top of a scsipi layer.
Abstracting that would probably require a scsi+atapi+mscp abstraction
which would sit on top of scsi, ata or mscp.

Could be an interesting project, but a little out of scope for what I
had in mind :)

My simh now boots with:

ra0 at mscpbus1 drive 0: RA92
racd0 at mscpbus1 drive 1: RRD40
ra1 at mscpbus1 drive 2: RD54
rx0 at mscpbus1 drive 3: RX50
ra0: size 2940951 sectors
racd0: size 1331200 sectors

and as a nice bonus I've copied the cd* behaviour of defaulting to a
single iso9660 partition for CDs without disklabels:

# disklabel racd0
# /dev/rracd0c:
type: MSCP
disk: RRD40
[...]
8 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 a:   1331200         0    ISO9660       0             # (Cyl.      0 -  10399)
 c:   1331200         0     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0 -  10399)