Re: Using SIMH vax and NetBSD-5.1.2

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Anders Magnusson <ragge%ludd.ltu.se@localhost>
wrote:
> On 03/17/2012 08:38 PM, Gregg Levine wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>> With this new faster system I decided that I could go ahead and try
>> again with running NetBSD via SIMH-vax and indeed I managed to launch
>> the CD in the install mode.
>>
>> However there is one specific stumbling block. In this case its the CD
>> itself, despite having been booted that way the installer claims that
>> the mount string:
>> "
>>     Command: /sbin/mount -rt cd9660 /dev/cd0a /mnt2
>>      Hit enter to continue

>> mount_cd9660: /dev/cd0a on /mnt2: Device not configured
>> "
>> is not working. That is the command is shown there. Otherwise the
>> instructions that Lars Brinkhoff created work well enough with this
>> release (of SimH). Otherwise I also find that I would need to tell the
>> installer what the networking method is for the Ethernet widget is so
>> that I could also fetch the sets from the NetBSD site and its mirrors
>> to make a network based install also work.
>>
>> Suggestions please gentlemen.
>>
> I assume that you use ka650 as CPU?  Then the CD reader is a MSCP device,
> and you should look at the boot messages about which device it is (like ra1
> or so,
> the CD player is called RRD40 IIRC).
>
> -- Ragge

Hello!
After the usual arguments, I decided to try again and this time
networking did manage to figure out how my box is connected to the
Internet. I'm now fetching the sets from the main FTP site as opposed
to reading them from the local set. I remember that when networking
first came to the SIMH series, one of the group did succeed in doing
that, but his problems were with the speed of delivery.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8%gmail.com@localhost