Re: VAXstation 4000/90 questions

On Sat, 2011-05-28 01:36:28 +0000, John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost>
wrote:
> So here are my questions:
>
> 1) am I correct in assuming that there's NO software crash that
> could cause the system to hang and not drop to the boot ROM chevron
> prompt from a break?

Wrong.  I managed to get that state several times while hacking Linux
on VAX, with probably any desktop-sized models (inkluding the smaller
3100, as well as 4000/60, /90, /90a and /96).

> 4) I think the only thing I haven't tried is replacing the heat sink
> compound on the CPU. Any thoughts on whether this could be an
> overheating CPU issue?

Could be. But I've never ever had seen the heat sinks to get that warm
that I thought about thermal problems.

> 5) unrelated to the crashing, how does one tell the difference
> between a 4000/90 and a 4000/90a? The casing doesn't seem to match
> the guts. Does someone have the specific results from a NetBSD
> benchmark on either a 4000/90 or a 4000/90a, or both?

The /90a (12ns = 83MHz) is a bit faster than the /90 (14ns =
74.43MHz). The numbers are taken from Wikipedia.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw%lug-owl.de@localhost
+49-172-7608481