Re: Weird ping statistics...

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Thanks for the check. Interesting that it's not just on the VAX. But the question remains, why...?

Anyone who could test some other architecture?

  I do not see this on my amigas (m68k).

  It would look like it's likely related to scheduling, since the 200ms
delay seems suspiciously like two time slices.  On my 4000/60, I can
easily see them if I'm running openssl speed at the same time.  I haven't
had a chance to test with a slower 4000/VLC yet. I've done a ktrace of the ping process, and that shows ~199ms betweel the poll() call and the return.

  It's almost as if the network software interrupt has to wait for the
current process to finish its 100ms time slice, then the software interrupt signal the ping process that it has data, but the other process gets scheduled for another 100ms time slice before the ping process is scheduled. I don't know how this would happen though - the vax appears to be using __HAVE_FAST_SOFTINTS, which I think should allow the software interrupt to run as soon as the network interrupt code finishes, which should then do what ever it does to wake up the poll() in the ping process. The current interrupted process would run the rest of its 100ms time slice, and the ping process should run right after that, which should show at most a 100ms delay. I would also think that I would also be seeing some 100ms delays on my amiga, but I haven't seen anything close to that so far. It's also interesting that at least one mips port shows this. I haven't tried any of my pmax systems yet, but I plan on trying that sometime.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant