Re: 5.1_RC1 on VAXstation 3100 with mono framebuffer

On Fri, 21 May 2010 20:51:11 +0100
George Harvey <fr30%dial.pipex.com@localhost> wrote:

> I've been trying 5.1_RC1 on my VAXstation 3100 (KA42-A) and it's
> working OK with a serial console but doesn't work with the on-board
> mono framebuffer. When switched to the framebuffer, I get output up to
> the point when the kernel has loaded then the screen goes blank. I
> suspect there is a clue in the following messages I see when using the
> serial console:
>
> smg0 at vsbus0 csr 0x200f0000 vec 104 ipl 17 maskbit 3
> smg0: could not find 8x15 font

I've subsequently found that adding a call to wsfont_init() before
wsfont_find() in smg.c fixes the missing font. With a serial console, I
now see:

smg0 at vsbus0 csr 0x200f0000 vec 104 ipl 17 maskbit 3
wsdisplay0 at smg0 kbdmux 1

However, it still hangs with a blank screen if I boot with the
framebuffer console. If I enable wscons in rc.conf, and boot with the
serial console, then I do get a login prompt on the frambuffer and I
can login and run commands. But if I switch to another virtual
terminal then the kernel double panics:

panic: Segv in kernel mode: pc 8003a281 addr 7f67ad8a
Begin traceback...
panic: Segv in kernel mode: pc %x addr %x
Stack traceback :
         Process is executing in user space.
End traceback...

?06 HLT INST