Re: Performance problems.

Johnny Billquist wrote:
I do notice that the cpu spends an abnormal amount of time in system state.

I installed 5.0.2 on a VS4000/60 recently. Installing some packages from package source, top shows periods of system time in excess of 50% and consistently in excess of 20%. While a pkgsrc make is running configure it seems particularly high in system time, usually at least 50%.
    Johnny

I have been watching a make of simh and all its dependencies just for something to do.

When make is running, top says the system time goes to about 50%. While gcc (cc1) is running, the system time drops to 2%.

The load average is consistently about 1.2.

make and configure run a lot of short lived processes rather quickly. Does that mean something?

-chuck