Re: Using pkgsrc without shared libraries

At Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:37:01 +0100, George Harvey
<fr30%dial.pipex.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Using pkgsrc without shared libraries

> I'm testing 4.0-RC1 on my 4000/500A, the installation went smoothly but
> I'm having a problem building packages from pkgsrc. 4.0 doesn't support
> shared libraries on the VAX but the package builds still try (and fail)
> to create them, 'readline' being the particular example I'm stuck on. Is
> there any way to configure pkgsrc on a VAX such that it will never try
> to build or use shared libraries?

(I meant to reply to this some time ago...)

I have some patches to pkgsrc that make it possible to build some, and
perhaps even as many as possible, packages as static-linked binaries
(while at the same time not crippling shared library support, at least
for those platforms where it can work).  One of the main hacks is to
libtool itself, which has some really horrible bugs preventing it from
being useful at properly supporting static builds of executables while
still supporting builds of shared libraries.  I would guess though that
if libtool determines that the platform doesn't support shared libraries
and dynamic modules then it works a little more sanely by default.

The "readline" library though is a particular pain in the butt.  Where
possible I've told packages to configure with and use NetBSD's libedit,
but where this doesn't work I've just configured the package to avoid
readline all together.  This probably isn't what you want, but it's the
best I've been able to come up with so far.

Ideally of course libedit's API would be extended to be 100% compatible
with GNU Readline, but I have little interest and no time to do that.  :-)

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 416 218 0099        http://www.planix.com/