Problems building pkg_install on simh

 I have a simh emulator with 4.0.1 installed and wanted to build
pkgsrc stuff on it (bash, to start with).  When I tried to build bash
it complained that my pkg_install was out of date, so I tried to build
pkg_install, and got:

diogenes# cd pkg_install
diogenes# make
sh: /usr/sbin/audit-packages: not found
===> Skipping vulnerability checks.
WARNING: No /pkg-vulnerabilities file found.
WARNING: To fix run: `/usr/sbin/download-vulnerability-list'.
===> Configuring for pkg_install-20081013
=> Configuring and building libnbcompat
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install

So... is building pkgsrc native just hopelessly broken, or is there
something else I should try?  Thanks for any help!

--
Gordon Zaft
zaft%zaft.org@localhost (preferred)