Re: Installing NetBSD on a MicroVax 3900

--- On Sun, 6/8/08, Christer O. Andersson <christer%a-son.net@localhost> wrote:
> > Also, is there any chance at all that NetBSD 4.0 is
> going to work?
> >
> > -Ian
> >

> To the best of my knowledge, current works. Including mopd.
> Don't know
> about 4.0.

Well, I got it to work. I was still struggleing with getting the Vax to mount
the NFS share, and I had turned on the monitor for my Linux PC, and was trying
to mount the NFS share there to test. That must have been just enough extra
load on the circuit, because about a minute later, I was sitting in the dark
listening to the whine of disks spinning down. After I reset the breaker, and
powered things back up - it worked! Maybe re-running exportfs -ra wasn't enough
and it needed to restart the daemon, or something, but after that, it worked.

The Vax netbooted from the Sun, got an IP address, mounted the NFS share,
loaded the kernel, and started the installer. The menus were all garbled and
unreadable - because I was using a TeleVideo terminal, but it worked. I swapped
the terminal for a VT100 and installed NetBSD 4.0 on an RA90. I can now boot
NetBSD directly from disk, and it seems to work.

Now I just need to install more software...

-Ian