Re: Installing NetBSD on a MicroVax 3900

--- On Sat, 6/7/08, Patrick Finnegan <pat%computer-refuge.org@localhost> wrote:

> I strongly suggest using boot.mop (and maybe just the whole
> distro) from
> NetBSD 1.5.3.  After that version, boot.mop got broken, and
> I don't
> think that I've had any luck with any release after
> that point.

Hmm. Why am I not suprised. Tape booting broke sometime around there too, and
that caused me to waste all kinds of time trying to boot a current version on
my MicroVax II back then...

This kind of stuff should really be in the documentation, or on the web page.

But, on the bright side, I did manage to get the boot.mop from 1.5.3 to work...
ish. I can get it to mop boot the file now, and I set up a bootparamd on the
Sun box, and now, I can get the Vax to mop boot, acquire an IP address from
rarpd, acquire the NFS server path from bootparamd, and attempt an NFS mount
(it shows up in the syslog on the Linux box), but the Vax reports that
nfs_open: must mount first. So, I do believe I'm down to a simple NFS access
issue.

# /etc/export
/export/netbsd  192.168.0.200(rw,no_root_squash)

I copied the NetBSD 4.0 disc to /export/netbsd, and have the permissions on the
directory so that anyone can access it. The IP address is what I have rarpd
giving the Vax. The syslog shows the NFS attempt:
mountd[4945]: mount request from unknown host 192.168.0.200 for /export/netbsd
(/export/netbsd)

What user is the Vax trying to connect as? I feel that right now it's just some
kind of NFS permissions issue.

Also, is there any chance at all that NetBSD 4.0 is going to work?

-Ian