Re: Installing NetBSD on a MicroVax 3900

All I can say is that the only reasonably working way is over ethernet. You need some machine with a mop daemon running. A NetBSD system normally have mopd to do that. Then you just need to read up on netbooting, and also find an image that will boot.

        Johnny

Mr Ian Primus skrev:
I now have a MicroVax 3900. I have cleaned the dust out of the system, replaced
the battery, and built a console cable. It works, and I can get to the chevron
prompt. The machine has:

KA655 CPU
MS650 16mb RAM boards (3)
KDA50 SDI disk controller
KLESI TU81 tape controller
TQK70 TK70 controller
CMD CQD-203/T SCSI tape controller
DESQA ethernet

The BA213 cabinet contains an RA70. The TK70 tape drive is missing.

I also have two RA90's. So far, I have tried one of them, and it seems to work.
The RA70 also seems to work. Neither disk that I have tried contains a bootable
file system.

Now, here's my problem. I want to get an OS loaded on this machine. I have a
friend that has a DEC CD boot server, and I can drive my system over there,
hook it up, and probably get VMS installed - and I do plan to load VMS at some
point. But, in the mean time, I would love to get NetBSD working on this.
But... how to do it? In my previous experiments with my MicroVax II, I tried to
install NetBSD from tape using the instructions in the FAQ. And I learned
several things. Namely, that the TK50 is an incredibly slow device, and that
NetBSD/VAX no longer has a working method of booting or installing from tape.

This machine has a SCSI tape controller, but it can't handle SCSI disks. If
there is a method of installing NetBSD from tape, I can use a newer tape drive
(like a DLT4000, or an Exabyte drive) to install. I could probably boot from
Ethernet, but I've never done that with a VAX before.

Any pointers?

-Ian