Re: NetBSD/vax lives again!

Christer O. Andersson said on 02/25/2008 09:13 PM:
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 01:28:28AM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 01:23:38AM +0100, Christer O. Andersson wrote:

I have got a VS3100, a VS4000 m60 and a VAX 4105A to test with once I
have figured out net booting. It has been a while since last time.
In case anyone is feeling really ambitious, I think that all of the code to
do X on the VS3100 is there but it hasn't been tested.

Andrew

I have a VS3100/38 with only the b/w built-in adapter. Is this enough
to test X? I have to make a cable if this setup will do, but I think I
have seen it on the net.

I had a VS3100/M38 with black and white framebuffer back in 2002. I got
it to boot with the console on the framebuffer rather than a VT, but
recall having no luck getting X working. I'm pretty sure I needed to
patch the kernel for the then stable release (1.5 I think) to get the
console on the framebuffer, which then worked flawlessly. The March 2002
posts titled "X servers / Re: VS4k90 PROM damage / Re: boot errors on
VS4000" may help:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-vax/2002/03/oindex.html

Sadly I had to part with the 3100, but if anyone in the UK wants to swap
a one with the b/w framebuffer for a 4000VlC complete with DEC hockey
puck mouse then I'd be very interested!

Chris