Subject: VAX 4000-200 and SCSI
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin D. Ogden <kdogden@gmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/14/2007 10:22:28
Hi all,
    I have a 4000-200 that I'm itching to get running.  Is the KZQSA
SCSI controller supported in any way shape or form?  I know it's not
MSCP so booting from it is out but is there a NetBSD driver to make it
usable after the machine is up?

    Unfortunately it seems everyone selling vax parts out there wants
like $600-$1500 for a MSCP capable qbus SCSI controller for some
reason.  WAY out of my price range, especially for a hobbyist box.

    Right now it doesn't have any drives and I've noticed DSSI drives
are pretty scarce these days so I want to try to go SCSI if I can.  I
suppose after DSSI drives become unobtainable I could netboot from a
VS3100 I've got but I imagine performance would be absolutely horrendous
compared to local drives.

Any thoughts?

--Kevin D. Ogden