Subject: Re: Yay! VAX working VERY well
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/28/2007 09:20:48
On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 07:34:38PM -0600, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2007, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
> >Curious qustion: why? After all, the shared library stuff was fixed at the
> >same time as a bunch of problems with both gcc and other parts. Is really even
> >possible to pull up all the other fixes without getting the ability to also
> >build shared libraries again?
>
>   Fixing the problems only required a few (9) pullups, and since I had found
> some of them, and had been testing all the fixes, I knew pretty much which
> commits were involved and could test each one before requesting the pullups.
>
>   The shared library changes are in around 50 commits, many involving more than
> one file.  I am not one who would blindly request pullups on all of those
> changes without verifying that they all patch cleanly.

N.B. you can also request a complete sync of a subdirectory with -current.
If those changes arel localized to some subdirectories and there is no
risk of breaking other systems, they are good candidates for pullup to
netbsd-4, I think. It would be pity to release 4.0 without the shared lib
support if the work has been already done.

Pavel Cahyna