Subject: Re: New to NetBSD/Vax, trying to bring up a MVII
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@yahoo.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/13/2007 17:47:03
> Some "advice" :
>
> a.) try to find an Ethernet controller for it
> (DEQNA/DELQA),
> it is much easier to set up, and nicer to run netbsd
> on it.

Hmm, yeah, I do want to get an ethernet board for
this, but I haven't come across one. I would also
dearly love to get an ethernet board for my 11/750
(another project in and of itself and no disk either.
I'd like to get NetBSD running on the MVII before I
tackle that...)

> b.) if you look for boards, and really like to keep
> the tk50
> working, get a tqk70 controller for it.

What's so bad about the TK50 controller?

> c.) I don't even know, if the tape boot loader is
> working at the moment,
> didn't try it for years.

But, surely there must be some way to boot from tape,
the FAQ gives instructions :). Seriously - what
release is known to be able to boot off tape. Now that
I have my tape writing problem solved, I need
something that will work that I can write to tape.
I've been trying to use the boot.fs from the 3.1
distribution.

> d.) install netbsd via mop. much easier.

I'll try that if I can get ethernet. For now though,
it looks like I'm stuck with tape. I don't mind the
speed of tape, provided it's going to work :)

Anything else I should know? Has anyone booted a Vax
from tape lately?

-Ian