Subject: Re: New machine (Intel based) being configured for making
To: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/05/2007 20:39:02
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Gregg C Levine wrote:

> Hello!
> Are there any "Gotcha!" marks out there for making NetBSD for the Vax via
> the usual methods that I need to be aware of? Also which release number for
> Intel is preferred? On the main FTP site I saw both 3.0.2 and 3.1 available,
> so I am setting up an FTP server for both.
>
> Both Intel and VAX naturally. Once I've got the machine working I'll then
> setup SIMH for the VAX on it, and attempt to fetch the sets and such like
> from the same FTP server for Intel.

 	I'd suggest installing a NetBSD-4.0 BETA2 snapshot from
 	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-4/

 	It means you'll start with gcc4, which is what any current
 	NetBSD developers are likely to be using, so avoiding any
 	gcc3/gcc4 mismatches (not that there *should* be any, but...)

 	I've been running NetBSD-4.0 BETA2 on my x86 hardware for a while
 	without any problems (unless you count a thinkpad waiting an
 	extra 30 seconds on booting when probing the CD drive, which is
 	annying, but not earth shattering)