Subject: Re: rescued microvax ii and cdc fsd disk yesterday
To: None <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: None <rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/03/2007 11:24:52
>    No, I used an Emulex SC03 in a MicroVAX-II for a long time...it
> emulated an RM05 as I recall.
As the boot drive? Hmm, maybe an "undocumented feature", since
the manuals I had never admitted to being able to boot anything that
wasn't MSCP. (In those days, I recall DEC had the MSCP religion and
didn't even want to admit anything else existed:-)

>> I tossed my last MicroVAXII in the recycle a few weeks ago.
>
>   ?!?!
I was under strict orders from the boss to clear the "junk" out of the
machine rm. To be honest, I hadn't turned it on in a couple of years.

>> Have fun with it. Just don't expect it to do anything useful:-) rick
>
>   Oh now that's not fair.  Just because it can't play huge graphical
>games and play MP3s doesn't mean it's not useful.  It makes a
>perfectly capable web or mail server, for example.

Yea, I remember how long "make World" of X11 took, but it did work for
the display board. We had the one bit/pixel board. Do you know how many
X apps still work ok without colour?

But, I'm typing this on a P166 without X running on it, using "ed", so
I suppose I could still use one. I still do a lot of development on this
box, since I can go do other things (what I'm actually paid to do) while
a slow kernel build is running. If I had to sit and wait for builds,
then it might be a different story.

Have fun with it, rick