Subject: Re: rescued microvax ii and cdc fsd disk yesterday
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Kim Hawtin <kim.hawtin@adelaide.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/03/2007 07:52:33
Dave McGuire wrote:
>> As far as I recall, the boot firmware only knew about MSCP, so nothing
>> else could be booted. (ie. Anything else had to boot off floppy or tape
>> to get it going.)
>
>   No, I used an Emulex SC03 in a MicroVAX-II for a long time...it
> emulated an RM05 as I recall.

Here is the card layout. I had all the cards out on Sunday in an attempt
to get it to do anything useful. I am pretty sure this is the order that
they arrived in.

slot1 M7606
slot2 memory; camintonn CMX-630 Rev A
slot3 memory; camintonn CMX-630 Rev A
slot4 M3106   M9047
slot5 M7546   M7504
slot6 Emulex; SC0310201-MSC s/n; AA3466
slot7 empty
slot8 empty

I removed all the cards last night and hit them with a contact
cleaner spray, cleaned them up, dryed and put them back in.

its funny how a little thing like that can halve the init times!

if i kick off a boot, like so
>>> b/3 dua0

it now brings up the 2..1..0

but returns

 ?05 DBL ERR
  PC = and some numbers...

i need to write it down when i'm not in a hurry.

>> I tossed my last MicroVAXII in the recycle a few weeks ago.
>   ?!?!

hey i understand, i send two trailer loads of peecees to the recyclers
when i moved house a few months ago =) but that was no tragic loss ;)

>> Have fun with it. Just don't expect it to do anything useful:-) rick
>
>   Oh now that's not fair.  Just because it can't play huge graphical
> games and play MP3s doesn't mean it's not useful.  It makes a perfectly
> capable web or mail server, for example.

my other uvax ii has sixteen serial ports...
which is why i'm working to towards a working machine =)
i'd like to be able to monitor all those ports every few minutes

cheers,

Kim