Subject: Re: rescued microvax ii and cdc fsd disk yesterday
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Kim Hawtin <kim.hawtin@adelaide.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/02/2007 12:29:19
Hi Dave,

Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2007, at 5:52 PM, Kim Hawtin wrote:
>> at which point i removed the rear plate and reseated every qbus card
>> and socketed cable and now have have output on my terminal with
>> 7..6..5..4..3..
>> >>>

>   Most excellent.

certainly made my day, at around 2am after spending most the day fiddling
with it and hunting down cables!

>> so i issued a boot, but i get a fail and retry ...
>> need to figure out whats going on with the disk drive now =)
>
>   Ok.  The drive is most certainly SMD.

the emulex controller has three sockets on it, one about 50 pin the
other about 14-16 pin. cabled running off to the drive is one 50 and on 14

the drive has a terminator in the second 50 pin socket on the back of
the drive, tied to ground.

I dissaembled and assembled it myself, I believe that it went back
together the same way it came apart.

> What's the make and model of the controller?

the card is an Emulex, I didn't find a model number on it first
inspection last night.

will have another look and hit it with some contact cleaner tonight.

> And are you sure the drive is cabled properly, i.e.
> you've got a terminator on the command cable, etc?

I think so. will double check pin one locations.

>> do earlier KA630's not know; 'show dev' or 'help'
>> in their firmware a the >>> prompt?
>
>   Nope...In fact I've never seen a KA630 that had such advanced commands
> in the ROMs; earlier or otherwise.  The oldest CPU board I've seen with
> those capabilities is the KA650.

ah, maybe I'm thinking of the ka41 microvax 3100 I have ...?
does not matter. just need to learn how to use it then =)

also has a tk50, four port serial card, deqna (sp?) ethernet
and a grant continuity card... (not sure how that works yet)

do all cards need to be bunched up together?
no gaps between cards, ie no empty slots?

is there any specific order of cards in the qbus?
must the CPU always be on the right? (when looking from the back)

cheers,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations
kim.hawtin@adelaide.edu.au